Grandpa Monfre’s Rules for a Happy, Prosperous and Rewarding Life
This was written by my father in June of 2014 and distributed to his grandchildren.
To all my Grandchildren;
Here are my wonderful rules of life, that if applied each and every day, will help you grow into valued member of society, and a person of great integrity. Rules are NOT listed in order of importance.
- The world and it’s people owe you nothing. You get what you work for. Mom and Dad provided for your housing, food, security and emotional well being for all these years, and when you reach the age of majority (18) it is time for you to start to look to yourself for successes.
- Facts do not cease to exist, because they are ignored.
- Debt and credit cards rob you of your freedoms.
- Never speak ill of others. If you can’t say something nice, say nothing at all.
- Do not be a gossip. You demean yourself by passing false witness about others.
- Never fear failure, but fear the regret of not trying.
- Have a dream for the future, but do not live in a dream world. Set goals to achieve your dreams, than make plans to reach your goals.
- Most of your problems will be caused by you. Do not pass them to somebody else. Therefore solve your own problem. The sooner you do, the happier life will be.
- Education and hard work is the pathway to success and great rewards.
- Taking advantage of a “window of opportunity” does not happen by “luck”, but by the preparation to have the knowledge and experience to take advantage of such opportunity.
- Speak with respect to all, at all times. The quietly spoken word is heard like the clap of thunder.
- Honor your father and mother. Thru your interactions with them and your conduct in your everyday life is how you will be judged by others.
- Never put anything on your Facebook page that would embarrass you if your mother or father, or Grandmother or Grandfather saw it. Remember that everything on Facebook is there forever, and can and will be used against you in the future.
- When you raise your voice in anger, others stop listening. Speak softly, and carry a big stick of ideas.
- Never lie. Be the first to admit a mistake, and offer a solution as to how you will make things right.
- Always be a person of your word. Your word is your bond and the basis of your integrity. Without integrity, your gains will always be suspected by others.
- Be very careful when using student loans. Excessive student loans creates a burden upon you and your future which will impact both you and your future well being. Both financially and emotionally. They must be repaid, and cannot be discharged.
- Life is enjoyable, less stressful and fun when you do the right thing.
- You instinctively know the difference between right and wrong. If you don’t, you will be doomed to failure.
- Credit cards will diminish your life and well being. They will keep you broke, and hinder your ability to gain wealth.
- God has a purpose for all of us in our life. Pray that you come to know yours. Hint, if you are really happy in your occupation, a big start to knowing.
- Embrace personal responsibility. See rule #1
- Education is of the greatest importance, but it does not need to mean college. Tech school will provide a skill to make you a productive member and net rewards for your efforts.
- Read, read read!!! Develop the joy of reading. It widens your horizons.
- Have, raise, and love a German Shepard Dog. You will have a devoted friend for years.
- Select your friends carefully. The conduct, morals and integrity of the people you hang with will be a great influence upon your life, both good and bad. Be your own person and stand for your morals, integrity, and values. See rule 16, 19, 22
- Do not judge another by the color of their skin, but by the content of their heart.
- Never underestimate the power of prayer, or the good will and power of God.
- Follow, study, and keep up with the news of the day. Speak out in defense of the Constitution, for only then will our country remain free.
- Believe little of what you see on the internet, and nothing of what you read. Anybody can write whatever they want on the internet whether true or false. Read a book.
- Save, Save, Save!!! Don,t save for a rainy day, save for your future. Of your earnings, try to save at least 10% each payday, no matter what. That’s called paying yourself first. As little as $5.00 per week will add up to big money in time. See rule #3.
- Enjoy sports, but remember that it is only a game, with winners and losers. /lIt takes a good loser to be a great winner.” If you plan to make a sport your career, don’t just play the game, but study it and learn it from a coaching perspective. Coach’s earn well and last longer.
- Smile, think happy thoughts, don’t worry (it’s a waste of time and brain power} be positive, and overcome the negative in your thinking.
- Work to find a mate with the qualities of your mother. You will never go wrong, and will be happy for life.
- Even in life’s darkest hours, think of all the good in your life and the people who love you and will stand with you.
- “Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan ‘Press On!’ has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.